IN OPERATION SINCE 2018
Ideol's first floater in operation
Built around a European consortium of 7 partners, Floatgen is a 2MW floating wind turbine demonstrator installed off the coast of Le Croisic on the offshore experimentation site of the Ecole Centrale de Nantes (SEM-REV). This project is being supported by the European Union as part of the FP7 programme. Floatgen is France's first offshore wind turbine. 5 000 inhabitants are supplied with its electricity.
INNOVATION AT ALL LEVELS
- Ideol’s patented Damping Pool ® floating foundation (36 square meters, draught of 7.5 meters), the world’s first floating barge designed for offshore wind
- Innovate concrete and construction methods developed by Bouygues Travaux Publics
- An international offshore facility operated by Centrale Nantes, SEM-REV, the first European multiple MRE technology sea site connected to the grid
- 6 synthetic fiber (nylon) mooring lines, a world first for a permanent mooring system of this size
THE HIGHEST LOCAL CONTENT OF ANY FLOATING WIND TURBINE
In comparison to other steel floating foundations, which are imported from abroad, the use of concrete for Ideol's floating foundation allows the construction to be located as close as possible to the deployment site. Construction at the Saint-Nazaire port was therefore a natural and optimal solution and has created a lot of local content. Additionally, the mooring system was manufactured by LeBéon Manufacturing in Brittany. For the majority of all other components or logistical activities, the Floatgen partners have also opted for suppliers within the Saint-Nazaire region.
70 direct jobs created at the height of the project for the floating foundation construction in Saint-Nazaire, 20M€ in orders placed with French suppliers, 80% of Tier 1 suppliers are French
IDEOL'S SCOPE OF WORK
As project coordinator, Ideol is responsible for the design and engineering of the foundation as well as the subsequent construction, installation and operation & maintenance of the demonstrator equipped with a 2MW wind turbine off the coast of Le Croisic.
- Construction at Saint-Nazaire harbour : 2016-2017
- Inauguration and baptism : 13rd October 2017
- Commissioning : mid-2018
As the first demonstration unit for Ideol's floating technology, it has provided, and will continue to provide, the consortium partners with an unparalleled experience, particularly in terms of construction methods, deployment, and operation, in addition to its value as a showcase model for future export.
FIRST OPERATIONAL RESULTS
The first operational results of the 2 MW Floatgen floating wind turbine meet and even exceed expectations. During the first half of 2019, the floating wind turbine – which is also France’s first offshore wind turbine – produced a total of 2.2 GWh and faced significant wave heights up to 6.2 metres (waves up to 11.7 metres). More info here.
- Capacity: 2 MW（Vestas V80）
- Installation site: SEM-REV test site at Le Croisic (France)
- Water depth: 33 metres
Floatgen is the starting point for commercial-scale deployment